Monday, June 2, 2014

Movie and TV: What's the SQUEE factor!?

I think it's time to talk about the SQUEE factor in movies or TV shows. There are quite a few cinematic adventures to love right now, but there are a several that I just can't seem to get enough of.
To explain what SQUEE is I would clarify it as the ultimate moment when you completly freak out/"squee" out loud because of your overwhelming excitement for something. Most times I SQUEE before I even see the show, the anticipation kills me! For a visual reference I am going to use one of my all time favorite little characters from Treasure Planet. Here is Morph:


Morph is our guide for understanding what a SQUEE looks like...I think that is my exact expression tongue dangling out, eyes wide open in spasmic glee of the joyous excitement soon to come to my eye holes!!






MY MOST RECENT SQUEE-TASTIC CINEMATIC ADVENTURES
1) Game of Thrones
2) Battlestar Galactica
3) X-Men Days of Future Past

First I love trailers, they set my SQUEE factor up towards a 9 even though I haven't really seen anything yet. There are some people who hate seeing things before the full episode but I thoroughly enjoy it. It's like I am let in on a little secret that only the editors/directors really know about, it makes me feel special!

GAME OF THRONES
Trailers get me excited but I feel like each show, each movie has it's own level of possible SQUEE. When it comes to Game of Thrones I get wrapped up in the character arc's and the progressive story line. G.R.R.M. (the abbreviation for the authors unusually long-ish name) has a way of building up his characters to their peak of performance. He shows you what they are fully capable of, shows you their moment of understanding of who they are and what they are meant to accomplish, and then he brutally slaughters them. I think a good code of watching with it comes to GOT is 'Don't get attached to any one character!!' As a writer I think this is a brilliant tactic. As a viewer and a reader I want to love the characters who live, but then again I always fall for the wonderful, hearty, die hard characters and they inevitably die (though there are some truly deserving deaths in GOT....even if it takes FOUR SEASONS TO GET TO THAT VERY SPECIFIC DEATH!!!). My point is, the emotional connection to each and every character makes this show extremely SQUEE worthy. I love a characters story, I want to see them succeed and I am with them all the way through every torturous episode. The longer my favorites live, the more SQUEE factor this show will become. At the moment, I set Game of Thrones at a SQUEE range of 9 (mainly because it's not over yet, and once it is I have no doubt the SQUEE range will burst out of the top marks!)
AWESOME QUOTE:
Ramsay Snow "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
I know I know, I am totally behind the times. I JUST STARTED BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, but even though I am behind I have to give this show it's due ranking in the SQUEE range. Even though it's over and I am marathoning like a fiend through every episode, I get overly excited about what is to come. I think a core reason I completely love this show is because they aren't afraid to deviate from a story line. The whole first season you believe the show is set up for a specific outcome, but they deftly shift away from it and take the characters down a different path. Also, there is no one obvious good guy because at one point of another each and every "good" character has to make  decision that is not quite so good. This shows the truly human nature of each character. There is no "pure" human, as a race we are completely flawed but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to fight to live and survive. I think I love this show the most because not only am I emotionally attached to characters, I also cheer for some of the technical bad characters because they work so hard to succeed. So far, I have to say my SQUEE range for Bstar is about a 7. I can't fully SQUEE-out just yet plus the visual effects make me giggle sometimes enough for the SQUEE to be dampened down just a touch.
AWESOME QUOTE:
 Admiral Helena Cain: Frack you.
 Number Six: You're not my type.


X-MEN DAYS OF FURTURE PAST
On to MOVIE MANIA.....Most recently I am still SQUEE-ing over X-Men Days of Future Past. I have to say with a movie with sooooooo many characters and so many possible story lines they really didn't a great job of pulling the film together. They kept focus on the main characters of X-Men First Class, the hightened focus remained on their story with small highlights, features, and cameo's from other mutants that we all know and love, or ones we are just getting to know. I think one of the best things that the writers took into account was the comedy factor. There were quite a few giggle-fantastic moments which lightened the heavy mood in the right way without over doing it. This movie with all the hype and the mass production value really paid off. I was geeking out over the trailer for quite a while which adds to the SQUEE factor of the actual movie when I see it. If I love the trailer, and the film pays off with a wonderful story, heavy arc for characters, and intense ending of awesome craziness I will go a little SQUEE happy. I say overall this is a SQUEE factor of 8.
AWESOME QUOTE:
Charles Xavier: The past: a place of potential promise, and possibility. We are the sum of our choices, as what we do now defines what we will do. Infinite decisions mean infinite consequences, for the future is never truly set.

My top 5 SQUEE's!

1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1 & 2)













2) Jurassic Park (Because this is the movie that started the obsession with AWESOME MOVIES)

3) Lord of the Rings (YES ALL OF THEM!!)












4) Game of Thrones (Duh)











5) Cloud Atlas (If you don't SQUEE over this one, you just didn't get it. This movie is one of my all time favorites!)












I want to hear what YOU SQUEE over, tell me what you are most excited to watch or what you still can't get enough of!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment