I feel like disasters always strike in three, and it’s not a rumor or a saying that your grandmother tells you. Honestly, disaster strikes me down in sets of three. Then again, my sets of three have been triplicated toward the end of this year, maybe my threes are now striking in threes? Ah crap, this doesn’t bode well for me…
First set of three…
1) Let’s go back to June right before my birthday, I was struck in the heart with a dagger. I want to say over the years I have learned to guard my heart and emotions well, but this time I failed. Shot to the heart, and he was to blame, he gave love a BAD NAME!!!!
2) I got really really sick around the end of September/early October. I thought I could manage, but I woke up on a Monday morning and thought I was going to die. I ended up having to go to the emergency room, buuuuuut disaster number three was right around the corner…..
3) For some reason I didn’t get my name added to my benefits package. Not sure (seriously I have no idea how this happened but that’s a whole different debate) how this came to be, but needless to say I called my benefits people and I was denied. SOooo 260 dollars later I had my doctor’s appointment and medication to get better.
The up side to my first set of horrors…I found a lot of extra time to write. I owe a lot to my struggles and down time because it always enables me to reflect and think about my past, mistakes, goals, achievements, desires…when I am at my lowest, the artistic thought and talented wonder living inside of me comes to life with a vengeance. YOU ARE STRUGGLING JESSICA?! NOOOOO…ARTISTIC WONDER TO THE RESCUE, LETS WRITE, DRAW, PAINT, READ, LIVE AND BREATH TO CREATE A MASTERPIECE!!!! (Yes, my internal monologue sounds like a crazed artistic super hero).
Second set of three…
1) My poor poooor car. It has seen better days, and as much as I hate when stuff happens to my vehicle and curse it for the blasted hunk of machinery it is. So I was driving down the freeway, and BAM, blown out tire. Luckily I was close to my apartment, didn’t have to hobble along too far. Called my friends AAA, and I got my spare put on. Yes I can change a tire, and yes I tried, but damn those lug nuts for being stuck on my wheel like the superset of super glues!
2) One morning I was driving down the freeway trying to get home to get ready for work and up ahead I notice what looks like a piece of foam flying through the air. I swear it looked completely weightless, flying through the wind like it weighed nothing at all. It was heading straight for my car and the second before it hit me I thought….crap, that is so not foam. That’s a rock the size of my head….BAM!!! My windshield shatters and cracks into a million tiny pieces glass flies all over my passenger seat and I am left (STILL DRIVING, I AM ON THE FREEWAY!!!) staring ahead in a state of massive shock repeating, “that totally was not a piece of foam!”
3) So this last one breaks my heart. I bought this beautiful little Honda Fit with the intentions of it lasting me forever! Honda…they are good cars. But me, I of course am on a record breaking bad luck streak and my poor little Finch (the name of my little black and blue speedster) didn’t stand a chance. On my way to some overtime work, driving down the freeway I notice my check engine light come on…then I notice my car won’t accelerate, then I notice that I am slowing down at a rapid speed. I smash the hazard light button and struggle to pull my car to the side of the road on a super busy freeway. Long story short…My head gasket blew and now I need a whole new engine. Ugh…
The upside, though not as easily found as the first one, I realized how many people in my life are willing to help me through my struggles. My family, friends, coworkers, all rallied together to help me get from place to place when I was without a hope of working out my schedule. Sometimes it takes a totally disaster to realize who truly cares for you, who will be there for you when you need. Those moments in life though hard should always be cherished. I have a wonderful family and friend base, I wouldn’t be as relieved and happy without them. They are my solid gold support net.
Third of three….
1) They always say, back it up…back it up…when you are working on something super important BACK IT UP. First fail…I did not
2) After writing all day on one of my chapters for my Manny, I seriously was struggling through one scene. But finally I finished it and was happy where I got with it. I saved it on my LAPTOP and then closed down for the day. I had other things going on….but disaster struck in several ways. This particular day was one of those…I can’t seem to do anything right kinda days which in itself is a fail. Not a total disaster, but mini little “damn it!” moments. Needless to say I was annoyed a little
3) Now this one still hurts, and I am still a little annoyed with myself for not doing what I always do. BACK IT UP…..while watching a movie that night with my friends, my poor little laptop crashed and displayed the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! 2,000 words that I had written that morning for my Manny were gone into the void of crashed hard drives. Lost forever, and never to come back again.
It’s at this moment when I broke down and cried (on the inside this time) because I was just so fed up with everything going wrong. Pissed is a great way to explain it, I was so angry!! So this time, I would say I didn’t have a oh my life is better moment, I didn’t have a “oh my family and friends are the best” realization. This time I was pissed and angry at technology and wanted to punch something, drink a beer, and watch a great movie. THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I DID…..I punched my couch cushions until my dog started to bark at me, I drank a deliciously hoppy IPA, and then I settled into the couch with my roomie and watched Love Actually. Maybe my last problems weren’t really resolved, I have a lot of writing to catch up on and my due date is at the end of the week!!! But….who doesn’t love watching Hugh Grant shake his Prime Minister butt to the jazzy pop tune of Jump (for my love) by the Pointer Sisters. Well done Hugh, you saved my sanity yet again!!